A vast cinema on the seafront, catering to both residents and tourists. In January 2014 when it had been shut, this is the greatest solitary display screen cinema when you look at the U.K. still showing movies, although concert events had been also part of the programming.
It opened 27th June 1921 towards designs of Frank Tugwell and was solely a cinema until 1958 whenever a stage ended up being included (and also the Abbott & Smith 3Manual organ removed) and during the summer months a real time program had been provided.
Additionally radical modifications occurred in 1968 when the fine Italian style facade in white faiance tiles had been covered with ordinary panels (many endures underneath) and phase considerably extended within the adjoining website (which used to accommodate the Palladium Cinema).
Today has actually a barn like interior with the balcony supported on 12 thin columns with 6 huge bins above and behind the balcony. The balcony front is lyre-shaped and gone back to the proscenium wall.
The ceiling is divided into 2 components. The front part is initial with an eliptical dome containing 3 decorative air flow grilles and having concealed lighting across the rim. Three ornamental corbels each side ‘support’ the roof.
A corner area is greater and basic online dating from the time the auditorium was extended in 1968. The proscenium arch is certainly not original, is rectangular and instead plain.
The Futurist Theatre provided summer time months of live shows, with big name concerts throughout the remaining 12 months.
Whenever there was clearly no live activity after that films had been screened (all of the Sept-June duration) even though theater had been never remotely complete to convenience of a movie!
The future of the Futurist Theatre had been mainly in doubt for several years, and the theater had been shut because of the regional council on 5th January 2014 with “Hobbit II – The Desolation of Smaug”.